2 weeks in Tangala Goat Farm


From 18 april to 1st of may I spent two weeks in a goat Farm in Fethiye, South of Turkey.



Tangala is the name of the farm and is located in the west end of the Taurus mountains at 700 meters high from sea level, near TLOS ancient city ruins. 

The farm main profession is to produce fresh and aged goat cheese.The farm is still under costruction and in a coulple of months it will become much more beautiful than it is now. Everything is natural and raw in there and if you like nature and you are interested in living in ecofriendly style this is one of the best place you can find in all of Turkey.


The day in the farm starts at 7/7:30, after breakfast the owner of the farm, Buket, starts immediately to milk the goats: They are 35, between big and puppies but only 14 of them are milked twice per day.After this operation, the shepard, Halil, or his wife, Zarife, come and bring the goats into the forest. When the farm is empty it is the moment of cleaning the goats place, and refilled the container with hay.The puppies goats do not go with their mothers, they stay in the farm but in a big green garden and when you open the gate it looks like children running outside from the school.After this works if there are no extra things to do you can enjoy the beautiful place and do different activities like going for a walk, taking pictures, riding a bycicle or just take a rest.In the afternoon the goats come back and they are milked again.







In the farm I met with other volunteers, Graham from England, and Jospefine from Germany.
I stayed in Tangala in the same week of the children's day in Turkey, april the 23, and many actors from Istanbul came to the farm to perform the day of the festival called Çocuk Bayramı.
Actors performed for children on the stage and after this we moved in a close part of that place because there was already prepared an archaeological game and as soon as they finished children got their own diploma for the partecipation of the festival.

















I did many activities in these wonderful two weeks. I went to visit the city of Pinara from where there was an amazing landscape and after to the marvellous seaside of Oludeniz in Fethiye.



I went with Josefine for a walk with Kadife, the donkey, we went to eat to the neighbour house as one of the son in that family was going to be a soldier, and Buket told me that it is a tradition invite people for eating. I tasted so many delicious food.





One night we went to a engagement party: all people from the village was there, we went to dance but men and women did not dance together but were separeted and this looks like very weird to me.

One day Josefine and me went to Zarife’s house to see how she bakes bread.


 I spent my last day in Fethiye following shepards into the forest, Halil and Meral. They brought me in a beautiful place with a big green garden and a river, I drank water directly from the river, we walked into the forest and the street was arduous, steep, and for sure, full of stones.


I had never worked in a farm before of this experience but I can say that I liked it very much. I think that It is very important the work that Tangala is doing with volunteers because give a chance to everybody to see how this work is hard and also it is a excellent example of ecofriendly system because they take the best things from organic and conventional farming and combine them.
They spread the consciousness and application of organic production to other people and they help the community and the values of local knowledge to preserve its traditional ways of life and make possible to pass these values to future generations.
Tangala it has been a very hard experience for me but in the end I am very glad of having been part of it for a while.
I met with beautiful and great people and I learned many things about different topics. I had the possibility to see somebody that succeded in his dream and I fullfilled my eyes of astonishing landscapes.
This experinece has gone much more beyond the simple farming and I will have a beautiful and amazing memory of it for the rest of my life.





Comments

  1. Nice farm! Animals are happy and healthy.

    Roy@ http://www.roysfarm.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened to be browsing and came across this wonderful blog. It looks absolutely beautiful, thank you for sharing your amazing experience and with so many pictures too!😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment