Who wants to learn editing?*

Dear potential readers,

In my last post I intentionally avoided talking about this one special arrival in Izmir, so that I will let you know more about my days in this city through small amounts of information every time. In the beginning of July, a friend of mine from Greece came to visit me in Izmir. And her stay was intended to be long since she would stay until the end of August. Her name is Ioanna and I am introducing her, not only because she is a friend of mine, but also because she is going to be the music teacher for the kids (and mine also) during this month. ( I don’t tend to reveal secrets, but her post talking about her experience with the kids will be in this blog soon)!

                                  Ioanna in Balcova Agora

Along with Ioanna came a very important tool for our work in Atolye, her Mac Laptop. Unfortunately, we will be able to use it only for this month, until Ioanna leaves and takes it with her. This is not a Mac commercial, but only a way to refer to our lessons with the kids trying to teach them few things on Editing, through Adobe Premiere Editing Program. And since Premiere is a bit of a heavy program, we definitely needed a laptop that meets editing criterias.
I came in touch with Adobe Premiere at my 4th year of my university studies in Journalism. From the first time, I got amazed from all the opportunities that such a program gave for our occupation (and not only) and soon I started finding myself being willing to get to know more of how this program works. In the following year, I had a few lessons on this program and here I am in Izmir sharing this knowledge with the children of Atolye. The kid inside of me, would really love to have learned something so beautiful as montage from such an early age and for this reason, sometimes I am quite jealous of Atolye Kids that are able to come in touch with Photography and Editing from such a young age. Although, I am not really an expert on Premiere, I really want to share with the kids even this small knowledge of mine, which I am sure that can really give life to the dreams of children to shoot some short documentaries and movies of their own.
 And the lesson started!!!



They were really interested in how this program works and after I showed them few things they immediately thought to finish a project of the last volunteer, Federica. This Italian girl and the kids thought of a small scenario and they gave life to it only through few cartons and many many photos. And here is how, these voluntary steps, from one volunteer to another, get connected with each other, creating something that is more integrated, both for the volunteers and the kids. We took the photos, put them into order, we defined the duration of each photo, we found a song that its melody represents better the aesthetic outcome that we wanted, we assimilated the intensity of the sound in the beginning and the end of the video and TSAK!!!
  
             our first editing effort using Federica's stop motion images






The more I spend time with the kids, the more I realize that through their imagination my imagination sparks too and I have learned through them that we can actually have fun through simple things, because what comes the most is not only what tools and ideas we have, but also how we feel and the energy we want to share.
Our editing efforts are being continued! Soon you will be able to watch our self made video of Izmir, after two days of video shooting under the exhausting sun. And the point is that: I didn’t help at all! J


Comments