The Summer belongs to children

       My Days in Izmir are passing by leaving me with new pictures and experiences. My turkish language skills may not be enough to express my thoughts and feelings but my head is working like crazy trying to capture every new word and every smile. You may say that I am a dreamer*, but today I found myself somewhere under the sun and close to the sea. This year Sahebe Kizilay of Izmir is organizing a children’s summer camp at Ege University Camp, in  Gümüldür and of course Atölye Deneme Sanat couldn’t miss the chance to be here!

*John Lennon would say that “ I am not the only one”


      This day was one of that days that you wake up early full of stress to be on time and you never think that your day will end up with a relaxing feeling that you are actually on holidays. But in these holidays, I was not alone. At this very beautiful camping, 54 children from Ödemis and Kiraz came along, leaving their kalabalik countys behind.
Our day was easy going. After a tasty lunch with patlican it was the time for all of us to seize the day and do what a genuine summer lover would do: swimming!!! The beach suddenly became colourful, from children’s happy voices. I try to remember my first time at the sea, thinking that for many of them it can probably be their first time. Tomorrow, I will ask them! I promise!
       Little after our second meal that included a lot of cacik (tzatziki), it was time for volleyball. No, wait! I want to talk more about the food, because it included ingredients that I haven’t eaten before, but then I guess this is not the point I want to stand at. Above all, what counts the most is that those children could have and enjoy their own summer camp for 8 days without their parents to worry extra expenses, since everything was covered from Kizilay Subesi.
         

      And little before the night comes, under the noisy sounds of random songs, we couldn’t hide our will to dance and so we did! From small choreographies to traditional dances from Thrakya, we found a way to communicate with each other without words. Just by holding hands and laughing with our clumsy dancing moves.
     The surprise was revealed at night. Lider,a volunteer, surprised as all with his funny games, that kept the interest of the children alive and created a friendly environment between us. Theatrical games transformed children into the actors of their own spontaneous theater. Clapping and clapping and clapping. The night will soon be over.

                




It is time for us to sleep.
 Have a nice night!




Comments