Declaration of love


“We will miss you, Timo. When will you come back to Turkey?” told me the youth in “Atölye” this morning. We still have two months together, but this declaration went straight to my heart. Sometimes you can have some doubts about the interest of the work you offer to children and sometimes you just reap the rewards of it.

When I realize that I work with only 5 youth, I think it is not so big, theoretically, but concretely, it is more than enough. It let me to have deeper links with them, and to set up advanced projects. Step by step, we have been building a relationship, and in spite of the language barrier, we are now creating, laughing, exchanging, sharing, together.


And so, this morning, we have been continuing the French course, working about the verb “faire” (to do), before that the youth wrote their first French text. To be a teacher is a real job, and my lesson is sometimes disjointed and improvised, but finally they could write a few sentences, after only 3 or 4 courses. The only noticeable mistake was to sometimes write French not as you normally write, but as you say it for a Turkish, “j’ai dix-sept ans” becoming “je disetan”. :)


  




Then, this afternoon, we moved up to the final step of the stain’s exercise inspired by Vincent Pianina. Görkem, my new French-Turkish colleague, was supported me for the second time, and it was really wealthy. This was not degrading my links with children, but on the contrary, it just let us to go forward, being able now to communicate them all the details I wanted. Finally, we will need a last day to really finish this work, but today let us a real step forward.







Comments